Thursday, October 7, 2010
Thursday, September 23, 2010
(Golden Rocket engine image, courtesy of Street Rodder)
4620 Geary Blvd
(between 10th Ave & 11th Ave)
San Francisco, CA 94118
A long-time Richmond District favorite, let Paul's help you out with your car!
Ted's Market & Delicatessen
1530 Howard St.
(between 11th & 12th Streets, South of Market)
San Francisco, CA 94103
Fresh, delicious, & wholesome food from this family-run business, since 1967.
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
We are now officially in the 21st century with our blog and our Facebook page, and now we are using Twitter! Wow!
Remember to join us on Facebook at: I love Jimmy's Old Car Picnic!
And check out our online store at: www.cafepress.com/jimmyspicnic22
Please be sure to share information with your friends who don't really use the internet (yes, we know they are still out there.) Phew!
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Sunday, August 29, 2010
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Some things will be a little different this year at the 22nd Annual Jimmy's Old Car Picnic, so please take a look.
- Event day is SATURDAY this year, not Sunday as in previous years. Remind your friends, especially the ones who aren't internet savvy!
- Entry fee will be $40 at the gate. We had to raise the fee this year in order to cover the costs related to the sky-high permit fees. This is not something we wanted to do but we had to so the event could continue. If you can't afford the fee, please come out anyways as a spectator and enjoy the event.
- Year limit changed to 1980 and older. Please be aware that the year limit will be strictly enforced. The SFPD & Park Police will issue citations for traffic and parking violations.
- Super-sized vehicles. If you have a bus or anything large like this that you'd like to enter, please contact us for more information: email@example.com
Thanks for your support and please keep checking back for updates!
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
We are happy to let you know that YES, Jimmy’s 22nd Annual Old Car Picnic WILL be held this year! Please save the date for SATURDAY, October 16, 2010, Speedway Meadow, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco!
This year brings some changes. Jimmy and his family have stepped back from organizing the event and have handed it over to a very capable group of friends--car people who have attended the Picnic for many years. Jimmy & family will be advisors to this new team
- SF Rec & Park raised our permit fees through the roof! The admission fee for this year’s Picnic will change and we’ll let you know how much it will be once it is confirmed.
- We are also looking for sponsors! If you know of a business that would like some exposure at this great event, just drop us a line.
- If you are interested in volunteering on the day of the event, please let us know.
- We’ll keep you posted with any other changes!
Our team has worked extremely hard to keep this tradition alive and we thank you all for your support! We’re looking forward to October 16 and hope you are too.
Thanks to all!
Jimmy's Old Car Picnic team
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Richmond Review & The Sunset Beacon: (Jimmy is on the cover of this month's Richmond Review!)
NY Times Bay Area Blog:
The Richmond District of SF Blog:
The Western Neighborhoods Project
There's been a lot going on and we've been delayed in getting the blog updated, but here's what's new:
- Our team and our supporters went to the SF Rec & Park Commission hearing at City Hall on 2/18. It was a great meeting and wonderful to hear such words of support! Our supporters, some of whom waited 5 HOURS to speak, spoke with passion and heart!
Curious about the hearing? Watch it here!
If the link does not work, just go to SFGTV video on demand, click on Rec Park Commission, and on our date, 2/18/10. Then click on #11. The meetings are taped and shown on Channel 26.
- Some of the Commissioners seemed supportive, some not so much. The Director of R&P, Phil Ginsberg thought we could come to some kind of compromise (but he is still not supportive of allowing cars on the lawn, but doesn't seem to have a problem with big rigs, machinery, heavy equipment, and stages sitting for days on end in the Meadow for the large concerts the Park hosts....keep this in mind....)
- Two of the Commissioners offered to meet with our team to discuss compromises and to do a walk through of possible locations. Our team is still set on our historical location of Speedway Meadow.
- WE STILL CAN USE YOUR SUPPORT! Drop a note to your supervisor or the Rec & Park Commission! Contact Phil Ginsburg! These are OUR PUBLIC SERVANTS--let them know that YOU, the PUBLIC want to keep Jimmy's at Speedway!
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Jimmy’s Picnic is ON THE AGENDA for the NEXT SF Rec & Park Commission meeting!
When: NEXT Thursday, 2/18, meeting starts at 1:00 pm
Where: SF City Hall, Rm 416
What: The SF Rec & Park Commission will discuss whether or not they will allow us to hold the Picnic at Speedway Meadow, Golden Gate Park, in October 2010!
The meeting start time has been changed a few times—but we got confirmation from the Commission itself this week that it’s scheduled for 1:00 pm. We know this in the middle of a week/workday, but we would love for our supporters to come out in full force! Even if you can’t make it right at 1:00, come down when you get the chance! We don’t know exactly what time we’ll be called.
We want to show our dedication and solidarity!
If you feel like speaking, there will be a time for public comment.
Please keep sending in those letters to your City Supervisors, the Mayor, and of course, the SF Recreation & Park Dept.
It helps if you also send a copy to us at SaveJimmysPicnic@gmail.com, so we know how many letters are going out.
Check out more info, including a sample letter and contact info in our previous blog posts, listed below.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
"I strongly support the return of Jimmy’s Old Car Picnic to Golden Gate Park, and cannot understand why the city denied the picnic a permit for 2010. The picnic has been a San Francisco institution since 1988. Friends and family gather in the Park and enjoy a day of picnicking, visiting and checking out the old cars. This picnic is free to all spectators, and those that bring a car make a modest donation that goes to a charity assisting the developmentally disabled. How many free events are there left in San Francisco that appeal to young and old alike?
Jimmy’s picnic is in the best tradition of this city. It was started by a gardener for Rec and Park, and grew from a just a few cars the first year to the hundreds that turn out today. Over the years it has raised tens of thousands of dollars for charity. Jimmy’s picnic is run by a non-profit, and there are no vendors, amplified sound or food or alcohol sales.
Over the 21 years that Jimmy’s picnic has been in the park, there has never been damage to the grass or any problems with neighbors. The crowd is car-loving and friendly, and very family oriented. With its proven track record, there is no reason to deny a permit to this event.
The parks are for all of the residents of San Francisco. Jimmy’s Old Car picnic is a chance for the people who grew up in the Avenues of the Richmond and the Sunset, as well as all over the City, to come together and celebrate the art of the old car, the hot rod, and car culture. You will see everything from a Model A Ford to a Rat Rod to a vintage Rolls Royce at the picnic. If it was made before 1972, it is there and so are those of us who love cars.
While the city may be moving toward a focus on larger, profit making events in Golden Gate Park, we should not lose events like Jimmy’s Picnic, a small family-friendly event that San Franciscans look forward to each year. I urge you to issue a permit to Jimmy’s Picnic!"
San Francisco Recreation and Park Commissioners: Mark Buell (president), Tom Harrison (vice-president), Gloria Bonilla, Michael Sullivan, David E. Lee, Larry Martin.
501 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
Telephone: 415-831-2750FAX: 415-221-8034
Mayor: Gavin Newsom
City Hall, Room 200
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
Telephone: (415) 554-6141
Fax: (415) 554-6160
Board of Supervisors:
(415) 554-7752 - Voice
(415) 554-7843 - Fax
(415) 554-6975 - Voice
(415) 554-6979 - Fax
(415) 554-5144 - voice
(415) 554-6255 - fax
David Chiu - Board President
(415) 554-7450 - Voice
(415) 554-7454 - Fax
(415) 554-7460 - Voice
(415) 554-7432 - Fax
(415) 554-7970 - Voice
(415) 554-7974 - Fax
(415) 554-6968 - Voice
(415) 554-6909 - Fax
(415) 554-6516 - Voice
(415) 554-6546 - Fax
(415) 554-7410 - Voice
(415) 554-7415 - Fax
(415) 554-7670 - Voice
(415) 554-7674 - Fax
(415) 554-7630 - Voice
(415) 554-7634 - Fax
Save the date of Thursday, 2/18, 2:00 pm--City Hall, Rm 216 for the SF Rec & Park Dept Commission meeting. We plan to get the Picnic on this meeting's agenda and our team will present its case!
If you are free, come on out!! If you cannot make it, please write a letter about what you would have said and send it to us.
We are asking people to send letters of support to the Mayor, the Board of Supervisors, and the Park Commission. Be sure to copy us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can track the letters and make sure our voices are heard!
Please let us know if you have any questions! Be sure to keep sharing your photos, it all helps.
THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!
Jimmy's Picnic team
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
We are saddened to let you know that the permit for 2010's Jimmy's Old Car Picnic has been denied by the SF Recreation & Park Department.
You can learn a little more by reading this SF Examiner article.
Directly from the Permit Office:
"Our Department (Permit Dept of the SF Recreation & Park Dept) is denying your request for Speedway Meadow for two reasons described below:
1. We believe that a grass field is not an appropriate venue for a car show and as a matter of policy this Department is not going to permit Car Shows on our grass areas going forward.
2. We are limiting the number of events in the fall that have an impact on our meadows to allow a minimum of 3 weeks between major events. We must choose between a number of different events. In deciding which events to allow, we are looking at a number of factors including
a. Cultural and recreational benefits to the city and residents
b. Economic benefit to the department
We recognize that the car show is enjoyed by many people. However, based on this review, we do not feel that a Car Show in a Meadow meets the standard. "
Well, we believe that the Picnic is absolutely beneficial to the people of San Francisco. What other event brings so many people of different cultures, ethnic backgrounds, and socioeconomic levels together on a single day? A family can attend this event for free. People can meet people from other places and share things they have in common or learn new things. They can picnic or grill and not worry about being gouged for money. The Picnic fosters community spirit and makes us proud to be San Franciscans!
Economic benefit to the department? We pay the required and necessary fees. We also feel that helping our Disabled community benefits everyone.
We just wanted to let you know what is going on. This blog is maintained by the Picnic organizers and is the source for accurate information; drop us a line if you have any questions. AND PLEASE SIGN OUR ONLINE PETITION!
For more information on the Permit Dept click here.